Tuesday, December 16, 2008

extra credit


Comp 106
Extra Credit
December 14, 2008
The first thing I did was to install Second life on my computer in order to have an account and play the game. For a glance, it seemed hard to play with all the options, but I found myself discovering. I chose my character, and it was one of the ladies displayed, and I entered the community. At first I did not know how to move my character, but after a lot of search in the file and view menu, I knew how to walk, move and communicate with others.
I found myself surrounded by other people, and suddenly I hit a guy named Arnold. I said hi, but obviously he didn’t want to chat. He stood there, so I decided to discover the land. On the bridge, I met Magen. She was lost. She didn’t know where to go or what to do, obviously as in my case. I asked her if she is taking a composition class. Of course, I knew the answer. She was doing it for fun. She is a member of Life that I do not know about, and she wanted to try Second Life. We became friends. It was just like email chatting.
I wanted to know more about this game. While walking, I found myself flying off of a bridge. After an hour and by mistake I took all the hair and clothes off of my character. So I had to search how to dress it up. It was actually pretty fun to do. I chose the pants to be black, the jacket red and the shoes black with high heels. I also changed all the face and body features as well as the hair.
Each of the face, body and hair has so many details to go over. The face has the cheeks, eyebrows, nose, eyes and jaw. Each determines how you want your character to look like. My character ended up looking a lot like me, except for the eyes’ color that I did not know how to change.
While walking on that land, I found myself with two other characters, a lady and a man. The lady was running all over. She was asking how to get to another land. She said: “It is really boring down here.” She asked: “How do I get out of this stupid, boring land?” I, honestly, said: “I do not know.” The guy started talking in some kind of a weird language. I assumed that it was Japanese. The lady started running, and he continued talking to me, but I did not understand a word of what he was saying. So I ran away myself.
I tried to build a tree or something else, but I couldn’t. Error Message stated that I should buy a land. When I own a land I, therefore, could build on it. It would have been pretty awesome if I was able to build a company, house or a park for my own group. There would have been more work and no boring time. It would have made me more attached to this game.
While pressing buttons, I ran into the sit option. Overwhelmed, I tried to sit on the grass. The system wouldn’t allow me of course. I decided to walk around and see where I can sit. Until I found chairs facing the ocean, but I couldn’t sit on them, I did not know why. I walked until I got to the benches on the grass where I sat there and ended my game.
From personalizing the character, to chatting, to discovering that world, it was a challenging experience. It was a real world experience, except for the restrictions of what you can do, as there were no schools or jobs. Overall, it was good to spend some time chatting and discovering the land, like any other game. Except that it was something from everyday life.

No comments: